Girl Scouts awards more than $30,000 in scholarships to Houston-area teens
The Emerald Circle of the Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council (GSSJC) awarded $30,500 to 25 young women at The Emerald Circle's annual Gold Award Merit Scholarship presentation and reception held April 21 at GSSJC's business office.
Only Girl Scouts who have earned the Gold Award, the highest award in Girl Scouting, are eligible for the merit-based scholarships. Emerald Circle scholarships help high school graduates prepare for their future by continuing their education and earning a college degree. This year's recipients were chosen from a pool of 84 applicants. Recipients of the scholarships plan to attend in-state colleges - Abilene Christian University, Baylor University, Lone Star Community College, Stephen F. Austin State University, Texas A&M University, Texas A&M-Galveston and The University of Texas - as well as out-of-state schools - Duke University, Loyola University, Temple University, Vanderbilt University and Wellesley College.
- Kristi F., who will graduate this year from Clements High School in Sugar Land, was chosen to receive the Judy Kunkel Memorial Scholarship. The $3,000 scholarship honors a long-time Girl Scout volunteer and professional educator.
- A $2,500 scholarship from the Albert and Margaret Alkek Foundation went to Erin L., a senior at uchesne Academy.
- The Robert H. and Joanne M. Williams Foundation Scholarship for $2,000 was presented to Hannah B. of Stratford High School.
- Elizabeth S., a home-schooled senior, was selected as the recipient of the Mary E. Robinson Memorial Scholarship for $2,000. The scholarship is designated for a graduate with plans to study special education. It is awarded in memory of Robinson, who was a long-time advocate for special education.
- Receiving the Ervan Chew Memorial Scholarship was Caroline M. from St. Agnes Academy. The $1,000 Ervan Chew Memorial Scholarship is funded by the GSSJC Board in memory of Ervan Chew, a civic leader and former member of the GSSJC Board.
- Alexa P. of Stafford High School was awarded a $2,000 Emerald Circle scholarship.
- Emerald Circle scholarships for $1,000 were presented to:
- Sareema A., I. H. Kempner High School
- Chelsie B., a home-schooled graduate
- Jessica B., Dayton High School
- Angela C., Seven Lakes High School
- Faith C., DeBakey High School
- Alex D., Lufkin High School
- Sarah G., Bellaire High School
- Emily H., Cypress Woods High School
- Jessica L., Deer Park High School
- Nina L., Clements High School
- Kruti M., Stephen F. Austin High School
- Emma P., Duchesne Academy
- Courtney P.l, Langham Creek High School
- Carolyn R., Stephen F. Austin High School
- Sanjana R., William B. Travis High School
- Holly R., Bellaire High School
- Sydney R., Hightower High School
- Katherine R., Stephen F. Austin High School
- Micaela R., Jersey Village High School
- Claire T., Klein Collins High School.
As scholarship recipients were introduced at the presentation ceremony, Emerald Circle President Joanne Williams congratulated each one and presented her a certificate. Linda Ross, The Emerald Circle's scholarship selections committee chair, gave an overview of each girl's high school achievements and described the recipient's Gold Award project.
Serving with Ross on the 2013 scholarship selections committee were two co-chairs, Dorothy Goodykoontz and Louise Rugaard; committee members Karen Amacker, Julia Blackmore, Terri Bean-Minero, Sandy Castillo, Gloria Echeverria, Sandy Judson, Claudia McCabe, Jayne Roberts, Connie Stone and Sara Walker. Nancy Walker served as an alternate.
The Emerald Circle was established as a "giving club" within Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council in 1992. In 1996, it assumed oversight of the Gold Award Merit Scholarship program. Over the past 16 years, The Emerald Circle has awarded a total of $501,000 in scholarships to 355 girls. Membership in the Emerald Circle is open to women and men who support the organization's goal of "changing the world one girl at a time" through education. Donations from individuals and corporations also support the college scholarship program. For information about Emerald Circle membership or making a scholarship donation, contact Beth Shea at 713-292-0321 or mail contributions to GSSJC, The Emerald Circle, 3110 Southwest Freeway, Houston, Texas 77098.
Editor's Note: 2013 Emerald Circle Scholarships
Recipients of the 2012-2013 Emerald Circle Scholarships:
Kneeling (L-R): Holly R., Caroline M., Erin L., Emily H., Alex D., Kruti M.,Carolyn R. and Sanjana R.
Seated (L-R): Kristi F., Nina L., Hannah B., Katherine R., Jessica L., Sydney R. and Jessica B.
Standing (L-R): Chelsie B., Micaela R., Claire T., Sarah G., Faith C., Courtney P., Sareema A., Emma P., Angela C. and Elizabeth S.