Girl Scout Convention promises younger girls experiences of a lifetime
Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council is proud and excited to host the 2011 Council Session and 52nd National Convention of Girl Scouts of the USA on Nov. 10-13 at the George R. Brown Convention Center. Not only will this grand event bring together thousands of Girl Scouts from across our Movement, it is also launching a year-long celebration of our 100th anniversary! You’ve never seen a convention like this!
But no Girl Scout party is complete without, well, girls! And there’s plenty for girls to do at this convention, like the Girl Scout Leadership Institute (GSLI) for teens 13 and older.
Too young to attend GSLI or some of the other convention activities? Don’t fret - there will be lots for younger girls to explore and enjoy as well!
Performance of a Lifetime
How many girls can say they performed in front of thousands of Girl Scouts from across the country? How ‘bout the world? Well, Girl Scouts in San Jacinto Council have the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to do just that!
Spots are still available for girls of all ages to participate in the opening musical/dance performance. Girls 9 years of age and older (as of Nov. 10, 2011) can also participate in the opening flag ceremony. Girls who volunteer in the musical/dance performance or the flag ceremony will each receive a pair of tickets so two (2) adults can attend the performance!
Sign up to volunteer or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for girls to sign up for the performances is Saturday, Sept. 10. Act now!
Hall of Exhibits
Imagine a huge, happy place filled with fun and learning and more fun… only Girl Scout-style! That’s what you’ll get when you visit the convention’s Hall of Exhibits. Girls (and adults) of all ages won’t want to miss the Texas-sized venue where they’ll get a true feel for what convention - and Girl Scouting - is all about!
Here’s a sneak peak of things to look forward to.
- Meet the Brownie Elf and take a photo with other beloved characters from the Girl Scout journey books! They’ll be there to make your experience colorful and bright!
- Get a front-row seat to one of the hottest girl fashion shows around, hosted by none other than Justine Magazine!
- Enjoy live music and attractions like the Harlem Globetrotters or the Juliette Gordon Low Bowl games!
- Visit the Global Lounge, sit in on a storytelling session or join a Girl Scout conversation pit… there will be plenty of topics for you to choose from!
- Have you ever visited a Girl Scout shop? Well, this one is 10 times better because it’s H-U-G-E! Find everything you need to make your Girl Scout collection complete… and then some! This Girl Scout shop will feature the latest and greatest Girl Scout items and gifts… just in time for the holidays!
- There’s no better time for a history lesson than our 100th anniversary! Visit the GSUSA booth to learn how Girl Scouts got started, were we’ve been and - more importantly - where we’re headed in the future! Plus, get the scoop on Girl Scout happenings!
- Get a jump start on the Girl Scouts Forever Green take action project or visit vendor booths for goodies and treats - especially ABC Bakery/Interbake Foods, our very own cookie and nut and candy distributor!
- You’ll also want to be sure to stop by the SeaWorld, Nasa, Houston Zoo and National Wildlife Federation exhibits. Did we mention Michaels, Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores, and Kiki Magazine will be there as well? There truly is something for everyone at this year’s Hall of Exhibits!
Visit www.girlscouts.org/convention to register today!
GSSJC | Communications Department
3110 Southwest Freeway Houston, TX 77098