Local chefs face off in Girl Scout cookie challenge at Just Desserts
HOUSTON (January 2010) – On Thursday, January 21, eight celebrity chefs from around Houston faced off in a pallet-pleasing competition at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown Houston. The challenge? Create an original dessert using a common ingredient: Girl Scout cookies. No, it wasn’t an episode of Iron Chef America. It was Just Desserts 2010.
More than 100 guests attended Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council’s Just Desserts, an annual donor appreciation event where some of Houston’s top chefs are paired with Girl Scouts to serve up original dessert creations and vie for the title of Best Use of Cookie, Most Delicious, Most Camp Friendly, Most Fun Table Display, Girl Scout Judges Favorite, Most Creative Recipe, Best Dessert Presentation, Celebrity Judges Favorite and People’s Choice Award.
This year’s participants included chefs from the George R. Brown Convention Center, Dessert Gallery, *17, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Hill Country, Stella Sola, Oh La La Dessert Boutique and chef Rebecca Mason. Amy’s Ice Cream finished off each dessert with a sweet side of Caramel DeLite-infused vanilla ice cream.
Girl Scouts were paired with members of the media who served as the completion’s judges, which included Sharron Melton of ABC-13, Houston Chronicle writer Douglas Britt, KPRC Local 2’s Amy Davis and Teresa Bryne-Dodge of My Table magazine. The girl judges were all top cookie sellers, having each sold more than 1,000 boxes of cookies last year.
This year’s winners included:
- Best Dessert Presentation – George R. Brown Convention Center (Caramel DeLites)
- Most Creative Recipe – Dessert Gallery (Thin Mint)
- Best Use of Cookie – *17 (Peanut Butter Sandwich)
- Most Fun Table Display – Hyatt Regency (Lemonades)
- Celebrity Judges Favorite – Hyatt Hill Country (Thanks-a-Lot)
- Girl Scout Judge Favorite – Stella Sola (Daisy Go Round)
- Most Delicious – Rebecca Mason (Shortbread)
- Most Camp Friendly – Oh La La Dessert Boutique (Peanut Butter Patties)
- People’s Choice Award – George R. Brown Convention Center
Girl Scouts is the premier leadership organization for girls. Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. Chartered by GSUSA to provide Girl Scouting locally, Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council is one of the largest Girl Scout councils in the country serving more than 72,000 girl members and 17,000 adults in 26 southeast Texas counties. For more information call 1-800-392-4340 or visit www.gssjc.org.
GSSJC | Communications Department
3110 Southwest Freeway Houston, TX 77098