or 1-800-392-4340, ext. 1361
It's Never Just Desserts When It's Girl Scout Cookies
Celebrity chefs have a limited time to make a scrumptious, palette-pleasing dessert using one common ingredient, Girl Scout cookies. No, it's not Iron Chef; it's Just Desserts.
Thursday, February 22, Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council held its annual invitation only "Thank You" event, Just Desserts, for its major donors. The event, which took place at River Oaks Country Club, paired Girl Scouts with celebrity chefs as apprentice chefs to create their masterpiece. Girl Scouts also served as assistant judges with the participating celebrity judges putting their discriminating palates to the test.
Celebrity chefs were awarded in several categories as follows:
- Best Dessert Presentation was Tamara Vogt, Grand Finale Catering, using the Peanut Butter Sandwich cookie, and
- Most Enthusiastic: Scott Tycer and Jose Hernandez, Gravitas, incorporating the Thanks-A-Lot cookie, and
- Most Creative Recipe: Joseph Sanchez, Rickshaw Far East Bistro, with the Caramel deLites cookie, and
- Best Use of Cookie: Eric Shamban, The Chocolate Bar, with the Thin Mint cookie
- Most Fun Table Display: Bradley Manchester and Tina Blanco, Hotel ZaZa, with the Lemonades cookie, and
- Celebrity Judges Favorite: Bruce Grassa, Aquarium, with the Peanut Butter Patties cookie, and
- Most Delicious: Pam Manovich and Pedro Chun, Trevisio, with the Shortbread cookie, and
- Girl Scout Assistant Judges' Favorite: Lisa Biggerstaff, Dacapo's, with the Reduced Fat Cartwheel cookies, and
Celebrity judges included:
- Yolanda Green, KHCW, Channel 39
- Ernie Manouse, KUHT, Channel 8
- Marcello Marini, KTMD, Channel 47
- Christina Terrell, KHOU, Channel 11
- Mary Vitek, CEO, Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council
- Melissa Wilson, KRIV, Channel 26
- Courtney Zavala, KPRC, Channel 2
Cookie Booth sales begin on February 24. Shops are located at many local grocery stores and shopping centers. The sale ends on March 25, 2006. If a Girl Scout hasn't come to your door, call the Cookie Hot Line at 1-888-GSCOOKIE to find a Girl Scout or Girl Scout Cookie Booth in your area.
Girl Scouts of the USA is the world's preeminent organization for girls, with a membership of more than 3.5 million girls and adults. Today, as when founded in 1912, GSUSA helps cultivate values, social conscience, and self-esteem in young girls, while also teaching them critical life skills that will enable them to succeed as adults. Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.
Chartered by GSUSA to provide Girl Scouting locally, Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council is one of the largest Girl Scout councils in the country serving over 63,000 girl members and 18,000 adults in 25 southeast Texas counties. For more information call 1-800-392-4340 or visit www.gssjc.org.
GSSJC Pluralism Statement
Embracing and promoting pluralism is an integral part of every activity and plan of Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council, not disconnected or separate projects. Only individuals willing to accept and be educated about the basic tenet that Girl Scouting is for all girls may serve in volunteer leadership or staff positions.
GSSJC | Communications Department
3110 Southwest Freeway Houston, TX 77098