Adult Training Information
The Council provides quality courses conducted by skilled and enthusiastic volunteer facilitators. Our volunteer facilitators are eager to assist you. Take advantage of as many courses as you can. The training you take as an adult volunteer will assist you in providing the best growth experiences for girls. Join other volunteers for fun and learning!
To register for training courses via mail or fax use the Training Registration Form and send to the training registrar at the Council office. No registrations will be taken over the phone. The completed form, along with full payment (if required) must be received at the Council office at least 2 weeks prior to the course. Late registrations will be taken after the deadline, only if space is available.
There is an online training application through which you may register for training courses.
Instructions for online registration:
- Click on the desired course, locating the desired date and time
- Click on Register when you have made a choice
- Complete the credit card information and click Submit
- Click the submit button only once
- Look for your email confirmation of transaction
Register by Fax
Faxed registrations must include credit card information for courses with fees. Fax the Training Registration Form complete with necessary payment information to (713) 292-0340.
Instructions Regarding Training
- Registrations will be confirmed in writing if received prior to the deadline date. If a course is full, participants will be notified immediately.
- No walk-ins please! Non-registered participants place an unreasonable burden on other participants, the facilitator and the training location. Facilitators may be unable to provide materials for non-registered participants. Only those with confirmed registrations should attend training. Please phone the training registrar (713) 292-0238 or 1 (800) 392-4340 with questions about confirmations.
- If you are unable to attend, please call the Council office at (713) 292-0238 or 1 (800) 392-4340 ext. 1238 to cancel. By canceling in advance, you allow others to register for the training. You may leave a message 24 hours a day.
- Refunds are given only in the following instances:
- Training course is full
- Training course is cancelled by the Volunteer Development Department. (minimum number not met, weather conditions prohibitive)
- Training date/time changed by the Volunteer Development Department to a time not convenient for participants.
- Credit to another workshop is given if a participant cancels two weeks prior to registration deadline. Please call the Council office at (713) 292-0238 or 1 (800) 392-4340 ext. 1238 to cancel.
- Children may not attend the training. Childcare facilities are not available at course locations, and children may not sit with an adult who is attending a course. Please do not bring children. For convenience, all required troop leadership courses are available in home study form.
- Training is open to all adult volunteers. Girls may attend only if the training has been designed for them.
- Fees for courses must accompany the registration form. Make checks payable to GSSJC. DO NOT SEND CASH. Financial assistance for training fees is available for registered Girl Scout volunteers. Financial assistance forms (F-134)(English Version), Formulario de Solicitud de Asistencia Financiera (F-134SP)(Spanish Version) are available at the Girl Scout Center, all service centers.
What to Bring to Training
- Registration confirmation card
- Leader’s guide and girls’ handbook for leadership courses
- Resources listed in confirmation card or course description
- Lunch/cold drink if training is scheduled through a mealtime
- Pen and paper
- A sweater in case the training facility is chilly
Get the most from your Adult Education Course!
- Arrive on time. Participants who miss course content may not receive credit.
- Listen attentively.
- Limit use of pagers and cell phones to emergencies only.
- Appreciate other points of view.
- Ask questions when you don’t understand.
- Participate in discussions and activities.
- No children. Participants who bring children may be asked to leave the course.
- Encourage others to participate.
- Share examples from your own experience, but keep your contributions focused on the subject.
- Think about how you will be able to apply the information being presented to your own life.